Zinser Elementary News September 18
FAMILY COUNCIL FACILITATOR
The Zinser Family Council is the name for our Parent Teacher Organization (PTO). The facilitator role will be open after this year as this will be Rylee Beauvais’ last year as facilitator of our Family Council (as her daughter Abby is now in 5th grade). We are searching for the next person to take on this important role and are looking for a dedicated parent that would fit this position. Please email Mr. Willick if this interests you, or you would like to nominate someone else. Although this year looks very different in terms of Family Council's involvement in the school, it would be great to have someone ready to learn this year to take over the role next year.
At this point we do not intend to hold monthly Family Council meetings since parent involvement is very limited at school. Stay tuned for more information about our council and the direction moving forward.
PARKING LOT NOTES
- Please consider utilizing our bus transportation option to avoid the busy parent pick-up lot. The buses have few students riding. We had a very high percentage of pick-ups today!
- We turned most of the signs around so parents won’t want to stop at the sign and keep moving forward. Always look to pull up where and when possible to help with the flow. Tell your child to look for the correct car and be ready. If your child is late to the sign, you can circle around the lot and keep your car moving.
- Thank you for those turning right only. We know it’s an inconvenience for some but we believe it will help speed up the line and be safer in the long run (we've had a couple accidents at that intersection).
- Drop off starts at 8:30; If you are in the lot before 8:30, you may drop your child off a few minutes early to get the traffic flowing, but the child will be standing by the grade sign until the 8:30 bell. Starting Monday all 1st-5th grade students can enter at the bell in the designated door.
- Please only use the right lane for drop off and pick-up, the inside lane is a pass by lane only. It is very dangerous to let students out in that lane.
- School Day Times: Please note the adjusted school day is now from 8:35-3:02
- District Back to School Information:
- Online Learning Academy for Virtual Learners:
- For information about our Online Learning Academy, visit here!
- Canvas Support: Here is a document to help our KK/K/1st families log into Canvas from iPads. Canvas iPAD Login Directions.pdf
- Temperature Checks: Parents/guardians are expected to do temperature checks before they come on the bus or are dropped off to school. Stay tuned for how this process will take place, we expect an app to be available so we will know which students were checked before coming to school.
- School Nurse: We’re excited to add a school nurse for the 2020-21 school year. The nurse will have a classroom as their “office” at Zinser, and will be assisting with any COVID related situations, temperature checks, and more.
- Screening for Face to Face Students: All students attending in person must be screened prior to school each day. Parents/Guardians will receive either a text message or email at 5:30a on each school day as a reminder to complete the very simple screener when your child awakes. The electronic screening tool can be completed until 8:30a. Unfortunately, we are unable to change the time of the screening period at this point; however, we are hopeful that we will be able to customize this in the near future. The tool is designed to quickly and accurately identify anybody who should not enter our buildings either because they are experiencing symptoms, or have been in contact with a known case of COVID-19. Please contact the school once the office opens if the screener instructs you to do so. It is imperative parents complete the screener for each of their students every school day prior to coming to school. The daily electronic screener does not need to be completed if your child is not coming to school that day. Thank you for your cooperation and support in completing this daily requirement.
- Recess and Lunch Schedule: All students are able to receive a free breakfast and/or lunch now!
- Cold Lunches will be in each classroom, with hot lunch students eating in the cafeteria. We are looking at 20 minutes for lunch and 20 minutes for a recess before or after lunch.
- We will be separating outdoor recess in zones with the hope that students will be outside without masks (unless they prefer one).
- Classes have scheduled one other recess in the morning or afternoon for each class, but again limiting numbers outside so they can be without masks.
- Drop Off Expectations:
- Drop off starts at 8:30 with the day officially starting at 8:35.
- Staggered Entrances will be used. Grade level signs will be put outside by the designated door. After the first week, students will walk in the correct door at 8:30 or later and head directly to the classroom.
- We will be very flexible with tardies, and do not expect to track them until after 8:50 am. We will welcome staggered drop offs from 8:30-8:50.
- Dismissal Expectations:
- The school day ends at 3:02.
- There will be multiple exits used to social distance exiting.
- No parents will be allowed to come inside the building to pick up Kindergarten and 1st graders, so we are finalizing a plan to meet outside or pick up from the car line.
- We are expecting Kindergarten families to park and walk to the front of the entrance outside for a more intimate and safe pick-up. We are expecting to use a numbered system for Kindergarten families with pick-up (with the goal of expanding to all grades).
- 1st-5th grade families will use the car line in the parent parking lot for pick-up. Your child will stand at the correct grade level sign and enter the car when it’s at the sign or close to the nearest pull up spot. You may need to pull up past the grade sign to help with the flow.
- We plan to be flexible in finding a way to release students in the pick-up lot before 3:02 (possibly 2:55) if it makes sense to keep cars moving outside.
- Face Coverings/Masks:
- The district’s expectation is for all staff and students to be wearing face masks throughout the day.
- There will be mask breaks allowed, with social distancing expectations, for snacks, lunch, recesses, and phonics lessons, etc.
If your child will be or possibly need to take any medication(s) while at school, please print and complete the attached form(s) and personally return them to school along with the medication that needs to be given. Students are not allowed to carry any medication to and from school:
September 25: No school, professional development day